News & Updates
May 24, 2017
*Now Available*: "JS Custom" Tenor and "JS Custom" necks. The JS Custom Tenor is a new offering made in Taiwan that, with a wide array of neck options -- including handmade necks by Tino Schucht -- may be the tenor you have been waiting for at a fraction of the price one normally expects to pay for a Dream Tenor. The necks are compatible with Crescent and Bauhaus Walstein tenors, offering a darker coloration and a more "bebop-and-beyond"-friendly tone, character and response -- a bit subtler and more jazz friendly than the original necks for both Crescent and BW. This new neck is available in both conventional "Mark VI style" templates and a template that has less upward tilt in its curvature; players who prefer the mouthpiece angle of old American saxophones (e.g. Conn & Buescher tenors) will like the changed entry angle of the mouthpiece with the latter style of "Crescent Custom." Available in a variety of finishes including silverplate and bare brass @ $229 + shipping. (more news and info coming soon)
July 11, 2016
Just Saxes has moved to a convenient new location (with plenty of on-site parking) on 17th Avenue in Live Oak and is open for service locally and internationally (receiving & mailing address remains 1840 41st Ave). Hours are now more flexible than in the past, with evening visits with playtesting possible past 9pm.
Currently available vintage saxophones:
- Conn 6M, transitional with NY (overslung, no tuning barrel) neck. Very well preserved, gold lacquered, seems to be original lacquer. Plays well as is (with possibly original pads in lower stack), but next in shop line for full overhaul/restoration but with maxed-out set-up. No significant damage, no past-repair horrors hidden anywhere; very responsive, accurate player. This model is my personal favorite 6M, of all the incarnations. Better intonation than many NY neck 6Ms, registers are nicely in tune with each other, with bold, open, freeblowing voice. $1295 without overhaul / $1895 after overhaul.
- Modernized King Zephyr alto (Yanagisawa style LH pinky cluster): true double socket example last owned by a professional player, came to me in trade and is a superb player -- exceptional intonation, exceptional response (quick attack, very freeblowing, with the right resistance as well when pushed). Vintage hand-refinish (hand strip, light nitrocellulose sealing coat), full overhaul and set-up ($1400 value in overhaul/restoration alone). If you prefer the Zephyr alto's balance of scale and deeper voice to the Super 20, but have never stayed with a Zephyr because the archaic left hand table doesn't work for you, this is going to be the one-of-a-kind horn you get married to and stay with the rest of your life.
- Conn 10M tenor (pre-war, rolled toneholes, very good intonation, overall "player's horn" condition, relaquered -- very good option for someone seeking a classic 10M playing well but not restored/overhauled) - price not yet determined. This 10M was originally purchased for full restoration, but with the current work backload it is available with normal servicing (plays very, very well, has cosmetic and mechanical imperfections).
- more vintage stock is available (see list at bottom of this frame, below), but most saxes are awaiting restoration, customization, or both
Crescent saxophones currently in stock:
- alto: goldplated, silverplated, bare brass
- tenor: goldplated, silverplated
- soprano, curved soprano: goldplated
- baritone: available by special order by July 1 (more news soon)
Vintage saxophones in the works, and forthcoming:
- Buescher New Aristocrat alto with "01" neck. The serial number on this example is very close to Rascher's. Full restoration. I actually have a second Buescher "01" neck that I'll be testing for compatibility, and it will be an "ala carte" offering with sale if it matches well. The second neck was last owned by the venerable Kidd Jordan, and should be a good one.
- Conn 6M classic pre-war Ladyface alto. Very nicely preserved, rolled tone holes. Scheduled for full restoration.
- Buescher Aristocrat 'Big B' tenor. This may get an updated (modernized) lefthand pinky table, depending on workload.
- Buescher Aristocrat Alto - full restoration including hand refinish.
More Info »